Saturday, April 21, 2007

Andrew Bechard for Albany Public Library Trustee









My name is Andrew Bechard. I am an attorney and a community advocate - I've worked with several community groups in Albany in an effort to improve neighborhoods and reduce poverty and homelessness.

I am running for the Library Board because I believe I can make a real difference.

The Albany Public Library is starting a $29.1 million dollar Branch Improvement Plan. That's a lot of money and Albany library taxes will increase by about 40% to carry the debt service for the acquisition/design/construction/renovation. While it is a significant percentage increase - I believe the new investment is fully justified. I am a supporter of the Branch Improvement Plan and I firmly believe the new schools and new libraries in Albany will help make our city the best in the region.

When you put the increase in dollar terms - if you own a $100,000 house you now pay about $111 in taxes to support the Albany Public Libraries - when you factor in the debt service, you'll pay about $161 per year.



The excellent work of the library staff and the library trustees make the Albany Public Library a real community treasure. The Friends of the Albany Public Library group is a tremendous resource and Albany is fortunate to have so many involved and committed volunteer supporters.

A library trustee will need construction and procurement experience to assist the Albany Public Library with implementing the Branch Improvement Plan. A plan with this many steps, phases and projects has the potential for delays, confusion and missed budget targets. When timetables are missed costs begin to go up resulting in the need to do new borrowing. As a Library Trustee I would bring over a dozen years of legal experience on several multi-million dollar public projects to the table. I will ask the right questions and I have the management skills to ensure Albany taxpayers get maximum return for the tax dollars spent on the Branch Improvement Plan.
The Library Trustees have made an excellent choice in contracting with the New York State Dormitory Authority to manage the plan, but the Trustees still have substantial responsibilities in overseeing the acquisition/design/construction/renovation. My skills and experience can bring real value to the Board of Trustees and can help the plan move forward in an efficient and economical fashion.

I thank you for taking the time to read this blog and I am asking you for your vote on May 15.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me at abechard@gmail.com or 489-2393.

No comments: