Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Making Time to Read - Andrew Bechard for Albany Public Library Trustee


My name is Andrew Bechard and I’m running for Albany Public Library Board of Trustees, if you’d like to know more about me and why I’m running for Trustee you can read my profile on the right side of the blog screen or scroll down to my April 21st post which is a couple of posts below. This post is about the importance of making time to read.

If you are leading a busy life, finding time to read can sometime seem impossible. I’ve listed some tips below that will allow you to make more time to read.

BRING YOUR READING WITH YOU. Always keep reading material with you. If you have to sit in a waiting room for 30 minutes, if you have to stand in a line for 10 or 15 minutes, don't waste that time – use the time to read. If you have a book or article with you (or one that's on your Personal Digital Assistant / Palm Pilot) you’ve just created more time to read. I always try to bring a small book or article with me wherever I go – you never know where you’ll get the opportunity to read.

MAKE IT A HABIT. Everybody has different reading habits. Mine is to try to read ten to thirty pages every night before I go to sleep. Others get up early and read in the morning quiet. Some read during their lunch break at work. Some read while commuting on the bus. Whatever your habit is – you’ve made time to read.

TAKE A READING VACATION / RETREAT. Some people can't get reading done at home or work. Their lives are just too busy. I’ve been there. I recommend taking a reading ‘vacation’ every month or quarter where you give yourself some quiet time and try to cruise through 1 to 3 books over a couple of days.

The above tips are some that have worked for me. Some others tips are: join/start a book club; keep a short reading list so you don’t find yourself trying to read 10-15 books at the same time; make reading time an unbreakable appointment on your calendar.

There is no magic formula for making time to read. Try things, and then keep doing what works for you and discard what doesn’t.

My next post will be tips on making time to read to your children.

No comments: